Wednesday 14 March 2012

Two months....and counting

Okay, so I've passed a milestone (I think). I've been here two months now and, honestly, it feels like 6.
The day to day of living in Sydney is actually amazing. I get the bus to work (via the Anzac Bridge) and I'm now getting complacement about seeing the harbour bridge out of the bus window everyday :) What a view. The public transport is superb, although, like all major cities in the world, unless you know exactly where you're going to, you can't find the right bus. Apparently there are a number of apps that help, but if you don't have an iphone, you're screwed. For instance: had to get over to Cremorne for drinks last saturday. Got into the city and went to *where* I assumed the bus would go from. It was only when I asked a bus driver, he looked at me with pity and explained that on this particular road, the buses go the opposite direction to where I want to go. Oops. So I had to walk two blocks to get the right bus. Of course, silly me.  I've since found out that there is a superb travel website that will help next time. The blonde strikes again.

My apartment is literally my sanctuary. I hadn't realised for a long time how much I missed having my own space. I loved having the house, and I lived with some awesome people (who have become dear friends), but just the general upkeep and cleaning made me exhausted. So now, when I clean the kitchen and I come home the next day - Ta da! Its still clean. Who knew? :) Although I do wonder who will be my first guest from home to come and stay with me. I have a brand new sofa bed ready for that first overseas guests....so, get booking, people!

I know I've said it before, but Facebook has been a lifeline to me. To hear about whats been happening at home, to know what my darling family and friends have been up to is music to my ears. But, it's also made me realise how fragile life is. Over the past two weeks, I've had friends and family go through terrible times and being over here makes me feel completely helpless. I know there's not much more I can do there, that I can't do from here (apart from give people a hug), but its the realisation once again that I am so far away. So feeling a little deflated and homesick today. It was bound to happen.

Work is amazing - the work/life balance in sydney is one that I think London should adopt more of! I don't think i've worked 9-5pm since I was about 20. I suppose it helps that when you pop out for a sandwich at lunchtime, the sun is shining, you see people in flip flops (thongs!) and with their sunnies on. Yeah, that definitely helps.

So I've lasted this long without a car and so far, I've loved it. There have been times where I needed that car immediately (like trying to get 12 bags of shopping home from the supermarket), but on the whole, its a real revelation to me. As I literally drove everywhere at home. Walking? Moi? Never....But now, because I don't have that option to jump in the car, I get my trainers on and just walk. Ha! However, one of my friends has pointed me into the direction of the 'Go Get' car hire. So, there's a number of cars dotted around the city and suburbs and you pay a deposit and they send you a swipe card. Go online, book your car and walk to collect it. Swipe your card over the windscreen (it opens the door) and the key is attached to a pully. Off you go! And it only cost $10 per hour. All in. Bloody brilliant. So, next time I'm at a loss as to what to do one sunday, that's me and the micra off to find another beach.

I have to say, I am finding the cost of living in Sydney very expensive (someone did warn me about it, but I refused to acknowledge it). LOL! So, for instance. In the local pub, a bottle of house wine is (on average) $40 per bottle (26 quid - don't have a pound sign on this keyboard). For a bottle of house wine??? Dear god. I went to the supermarket at the end of last month to do my 'big shop' and I filled up the half sized trolley (not the really big ones). I literally bought the essentials (lots of stuff to freeze) and it came to nearly $300! I nearly passed out. So, although the salaries at basically double what you would get at home, in dollars, the cost of living is literally double. But its do-able. Just.

So I can't do my blog without mentioning my new gorgeous friends. First of all - the aussies. I met them through my cousin Don, and from the start, they made me feel like I had known them years. So, I'd like to introduce Lisa, Kirsty, Clare & Louie. Top, top birds. And they get me drunk. All the time. Love them.

And, naturally, my 6 sidekicks from the british contingency. I was at a loss as to how to make new friends when I first got here. Yup, it surprised me too, but the average aussies don't really want to get involved with you. They seem to have their circle and don't want to add to it. Which I understand. However, when you're far away from home, being taken under someones wing could make the difference of staying or going home. So, step forward the 'Brit Girls'. We had all signed up to a website called 'poms in oz' and one girl had put a posting about needing new girlie mates for, and i quote "tea, cakes and champagne'. So we arranged to meet one tuesday night - it was like the strangest blind date ever! But the 6 of us hit it off immediately and we had a great night. So my brit girls are: Hayley (a teacher), Jayne (an accountant, married to Ian), Sarah (married to stu), Angela (telecomms engineer, married with a little girl) and Zoe (and editor, living with Tom). Then we met Sophie not long after and she's become part of the 'originals' too. We all meet up on a thursday for 'thirsty thursday' drinks and a few of us do the pub quiz on a wednesday night. Plus, we try and meet up over the weekends. And literally, within a few weeks, all of these ladies (along with the aussie girls) have become my lifeline. We laugh like drains, we all have a lot in common and we just genuinely love each other's company. So, even being 11,000 miles away from home, I am once again blessed with amazing friends.

So, that's my update for now. I have had some people blow me away with their support and encouragement from home. Others...hmmm, not so much. I get it that people's lives still carry on without me (i'm not *that* important LOL!), however, taking that huge step to leave everyone I love to come over here, alone, has been the toughest decision I've ever made. And yes, I know I always give off the impression that I'm the strong one and that I don't need anyone or anything, but *newsflash*.... I do. I need to know that I'm still a part of your life, that I haven't been forgotten. And as dramatic as that sounds, its how I feel out here - across the other side of the world, without my life support system. And if you are busy, just drop me a txt. Say hi. I don't need an email that the equivalent to war and peace, but just let me know I'm in your thoughts. Because I'm damn sure if it was the other way around, it would be a different story.

Oh, and I turn 37 in two weeks. Am *SO* not happy about that.

Love and laughter

Hols
xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment